- Have a Heart for Kids: Friday, April 24th
- Each year, NC spends $135,000 per child for youth detention and about $8000 per child for education.
- CIS Executive Director Selena Bennett honored with Duke Citizenship and Service Award
- 66% of kids experience academic difficulties.
- 1 in 3 kids experience bullying.
- 61,423 kids are currently incarcerated.
- 75% of prisoners are high school dropouts.
- Click the Subscribe tab to get our free e-Newsletter!
- Let’s hear what you have to say: Join our Speaker’s Bureau. For details, see below.
- Every day, 83 students drop out of school in North Carolina.
Have a Heart for Kids: A Sparkle and Spirits Event
Friday, April 24th at the home of Glenn Barwick and Judith McMillan
6:00 PM to 8:00 PM
Purchase your event tickets and/or Sponsorships Online!
The road to graduation isn’t easy for many youth in Wayne County. Our students face many factors outside of school that create road blocks along their journey to academic success. For many students, a lack of resources and community support is their greatest barrier. Communities In Schools of Wayne County is dedicated to surrounding our youth with a community of support, empowering them to stay in school and achieve in life. We work to bridge the gap between the needs of today’s young people and existing resources by forming partnerships with local corporations, human service agencies, faith communities, civic groups and individual volunteers. Your support has helped us reach students in two high schools, four middle schools, and the teen court program. Tickets: $30 per person, $60 per couple.
As a leader in this community, your sponsorship could help CIS achieve its goal.
Gold: $1,000 Includes newspaper announcement of event with/sponsor credit, recognition on evening of event, newspaper recognition following the event and 8 guest tickets. Silver: $ 500 Includes recognition on evening of event, newspaper recognition following the event and 6 guest tickets. Bronze: $ 250 Includes recognition on evening of event, newspaper recognition following the event and 4 guest tickets. Professional: $ 100 Includes recognition on evening of event and 3 guest tickets. (Sponsorships due April 15th)
Learn How CIS is making a difference: Watch the 5 minute video.
A cornerstone concept of Communities in Schools is “relationships“. Watch Rita Pierson’s “Every child deserves a champion””
About Communities in Schools:
CIS is the nation’s largest dropout prevention organization. Our mission is to surround students with a community of support,empowering them to stay in school and achieve in life. By bringing caring adults into the schools to address children’s unmet needs, CIS provides the link between educators and the community. The result: teachers are free to teach, and students – many in jeopardy of dropping out – have the opportunity to focus on learning.
For over 30 years, Communities In Schools has worked to ensure that every child needs and deserves these “Five Basics”:
- A one-on-one relationship with a caring adult
- A safe place to learn and grow
- A healthy start and a healthy future
- A marketable skill to use upon graduation
- A chance to give back to peers and community